Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

American Idol Recap! Top 4 Finalists

Well, here we are...

Just a week away from finding out who will compete as the Final 2 contestants for this year.

I, for one, am relieved. This season has been mostly disappointing and it's high time for the 'ol fangirl to move onto some new territory. Hopefully...

Let's get to this already.

For this week's show the contestants choose hit songs popularized in movies, celeb mentored by Jamie Foxx. I guess it makes sense that AI would choose Jamie Foxx for "movie week" and all but I still have a hard time accepting Jamie Foxx as "musician".

Just me?

Anyway...


Lee DeWyze starts off the night with "Kiss From a Rose" by Seal.
I'm thinking he sounds pretty good though this performance doesn't really hold a candle to last week's Sinatra tribute. Even still, I think Lee has as good a chance as any other contestant (read: Crystal Bowersox) of winning this thing.
It's the battle of the sexes at the judges table; the women generally like the performance, while the guys generally... don't. The consensus seems to be: good but too much of a sound-a-like.


Michael Lynche sings "Will You Be There" by Michael Jackson.
I kind of feel like I'm in church with the presence of the choir in the background. Since church makes me highly uncomfortable I can't say I'm all that into this. I do like Big Mike, so I'm hoping this strange choice of arrangement doesn't send him home before Casey.
Randy said it was "just alright". In a possible first time ever event, Ellen donned her serious judging cap when she called the performance "predictable". Kara said she wasn't moved and that he played it safe. She also confused me and likely the rest of the viewing world with this comment:
Tonight I want goosebumps! I can't have them but Ellen can...
Ooooooooookay...
Apparently she was referring to her wearing long-sleeves and Ellen wearing short sleeves.
Riiiiiiiiiiight.
Also?
Kara is dressed like a paralegal this evening. Just sayin'...


Simon has the kindest words, telling Big Mike at least he "gave it 100%" and sang it "like he meant it".

Keeping things fresh, AI mixes it up with a Crystal & Lee duet to "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova or, as I like to call them: Glen & Marky.
What?!
I think this original song is BEAUTIFUL. So beautiful in fact that something just feels wrong when I hear other vocalists covering it. I'm not saying this performance was bad, per say. It's just that I would rather listen to the original any day with its piano accompaniment and sweet female vocals as opposed to this weird in your face guitar jam-fest these two were putting on:

I call this one "Face-to-Face Jam"

Save for busting a nut all over the stage, the judges spare nothing in their praise for this performance:
Randy - "Amazing. Could be a hit right now."
Ellen - "God, that was great"
Kara - "One of my favorite moments of the entire season"
Simon - "I don't know if it was a good song. I would call it a fantastic song"


Next we have Casey James with "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon & Garfunkel.
Here is the ONLY thing I wrote about this performance:
Sounds like a ukulele
It wasn't a uke but some sort of tiny guitar. I'm gonna save us all a lot of time here.
I wasn't into this.
I think Casey should/will go home next.
The end.


Crystal Bowersox raises a few eyebrows with her choice of movie music, "Alright" by Kenny Loggins from Caddyshack.
I must say she does make this song better than the cheesy original, even still, it's not saying much. What were these contestants thinking this week? The most interesting part of Crystal being on stage was the revelation that the creeper in the Bowersox shirt from 2 weeks ago is Crystal's boyfriend. Who can't dance. Or dress himself:


Randy says she  is "definitely an artist". Ellen called the performance "Crystalized" (what-ever). Kara said she "took the song and made it better" while Simon states "You, Crystal, are back in the game".

For the final snooze song of the night, we have Casey & Big Mike singing "Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman?" by Bryan Adams.
I hated this. Perhaps I was legitimately tired but I couldn't stop yawning throughout.
The judges were pleased and made the point of saying that "the duets were better than the solo performances" this evening. Well that... kind of sucks. Right?


My pick to go home:
No surprise here - Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment